The Missions Committee of Christus Victor Lutheran Church (CV) takes our mission statement “serving Christ with faith, love and open arms” and focuses across the world on our brothers and sisters in Tanzania and in the Dominican Republic.
Our Partners in Tanzania
In 2002, CV began a partnership with a rural Lutheran congregation in the village of Mlowa located in the Iringa diocese in the south central region of Tanzania. The partnership is called Bega kwa Bega (meaning shoulder to shoulder) and we are one of more than sixty congregations of the St. Paul Area Synod which have made this cross cultural connection.
Ambassadors from CV have traveled to Mlowa to connect five times 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010.
What has CV done in Mlowa?
- Provide building materials and resources to help build churches and homes for evangelists
- Provide ongoing education for church leaders
- Purchase bikes and a motorcycle to enable Mlowa church leaders to reach all of their members in remote preaching points.
- Purchase sewing machines to enable Mlowa to start a sewing school in enable members to learn a trade and provide income to their families
- Sponsor more than 20 Tanzanian students annually to attend Secondary School (the USA equivalent of middle school and high school). A year of education costs $360 and, sadly enough the average income of a Tanzanian is $350.
- Funded a three-year Agricultural Project (developed by the University of Minnesota and Tumaini University) to research and improve crop production in the Mlowa district.
What Bega Kwa Bega does, has touched the lives of hundreds of Minnesota Lutherans (including members of CV) and changed the lives of our brothers and sisters in Tanzania. This video shows more about this amazing partnership.
If you have any questions about Tanzania or our connection with Mlowa, please email the CV office or call them at 952-454-6927. Asante Sana. Thank you.
Kids Alive in Dominican Republic
Follow this link for more information about Kids Alive and the children they help in the Domican Republic.